2013/03/10

Designer: Taeseok Kang

On my first day at London Fashion Week, I attended a presentation at Vauxhall Fashion Scout, Freemansion's Hall and got to walk around their exhibition room. The exhibition room was a showcase space for Fashion Scout talents featuring Fall 2013 collections from many newly emerged designers. One of the collections that caught my attention was Taeseok Kang's.

Taeseok Kang 

Taeseok is a Korean-born fashion designer. He graduated from London College of Fashion in 2012 and already had his products featured on several magazines including Vogue Italy. His Fall 2013 collection was named sexual humorous/sexual displacement from human body part
 "The collection explores narratives of sexual human body and addresses the question of palpable sensations that manifest from the sexual instinct of a human being and the range of sexiness from subtle to extreme."
All of the items from the collection was handcrafted from vegetarian leather, plated brass fixtures and hair used as tassels and handles.The bag are chic, practical and will definitely turn a few heads when worn on the street :)

 

1. Born in Korea yet living in the UK, did the English culture affect your designs in any ways? 
I was born and raised in Korea so Asian, especially Korean culture still has the biggest influence on my way of thinking. Although I have lived in the UK for several years, I still feel myself more inspired by Korean culture. So, no, I don't think the English culture has any effects on my designs.

2. Why human body parts?
When I was young I didn't have any sexual education because our culture was very conservative. So the idea of the collection was from my sexual curiosity. It's like a Pandora`s box, stimulation of human`s natural curiosity.

3. Who do you think is your current customer? 
I guess women who are in their late 20s to early 40s; someone who are interested in edgy, unique items, different from other luxury labels.

4. You also studied Fashion Design; in the future, would you like to focus more on designing fashion accessories or female clothing?  
My BA was Sculpture and Jewel Design. I did study Fashion, but it was for just 1 year at CSM. I love design but I wasn't very good at making clothes. One of my concept ideas was cross dressing from my friend`s artwork and androgyny.

5. Which item from your current collection do you like best? 
My favourite item is the suitcase and backpack.

6. Describe your designs in FIVE words? 
Sexuality, Humourous, Chic, Luxury and Glamorous.

7. Who are your favourite fashion designers? 
At the moment, I like Raf Simons and Thom Browne.

8. Will you continue using human body parts as the inspiration for your next collection? 
My design concept always combines sexuality, humour and anything what I find interesting and might have a connection with the sexual idea. Currently I'm still researching for that "something" for my Spring 2014 collection.


You can take a look at Taeseok's full Fall 2013 collection here and buy some of his bags here. For more information, contact him directly via email blueguylove@naver.com

Here are the two pieces that I'm dying to have!


Which one do you like most? Comment below this post to let me know ;)

Thank you for reading and hope you enjoy the post! 
See you again soon.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Leave your comment here x

LOOKING FOR SOMETHING?