2013/03/14

Designer: Hellen van Rees

 
Hellen van Rees

Another designer that gave me such great impression during my visit to Fashion Scout exhibition was Hellen van Rees. Hellen van Rees is a Dutch fashion and textile designer, graduated from Central Saint Martins in 2012. She started her own label in the Netherlands after graduating. Her first collection was named “One to Watch” by Fashion Scout. Lady Gaga was even spotted wearing one of her designs.    

Hellen's Fall 2013 collection made from the same handmade tweed fabrics - her signature, with the same three-dimensional threaded blocks but it is also "an exploration into what happens when yarns of all colours are combined in one textile, resulting in  tweeds in new blends and colours combinations."

I took one look at her new collection for Fall 2013 and immediately felt like I'd buy everything if I could afford it. The reason simply is because I love tweed (clearly Chanel's influence), multi-coloured, statement pieces and anything oversized - all of which made their appearance in Hellen's Fall 2013 collection.


Hellen was kind enough to take a few minutes out of her very busy schedule to answer all the interview questions that I sent her last week.

1. When did you know that you want to be a fashion designer? 
I always wanted to make my own things since I was a kid. But it wasn't until I attended open days at several art colleges that I realised I wanted to become a fashion designer.

2. Who would you say has the biggest influence on your designs? 
People who are close to me, my family and friends.

3. Why did you choose tweed as your main material? 
The Chanel tweed is the main inspiration for the tweed-like material that I developed. It’s a very interesting fabric because it’s made out of a variety types of yarns, which gives me endless possibilities.

4. What in the square shape that fascinated you? 
The tweed material that I used is quite traditional. Yet I’m not about making traditional garments. I wanted to do something odd, more sculptural to the garments. The weave in the tweed goes in two directions, horizontal and vertical, creating a pattern with small squares. Which, alongside with the contemporary art, I got the idea of making 3D squares. 

5. Why did you name your Fall 2013 collection The transformation?
I transformed the weave into 3 directions, creating diagonal lines and triangular pattern. This also made the square transform into this diagonal shape. Also the presentation is about an abstraction, transforming the body into the background. 

6. Of all the pieces that you designed over the years, which one is your most favourite? 
That is impossible to say. They all have their time and place and fit within that, to me it’s a timeline.

7. Have you got any visions for your next collection?
Yes, but I'll keep it as a secret. You will have to wait until this September to see it :)

8. What are your other hobbies, apart from fashion design?
Shockingly, nothing. I mean I like hanging out with friends, going to the pub, concerts nice food and drinks. But apart from creating new designs and making them into products, I really have no other hobbies.


Here are my favourite pieces from Hellen's Fall 2013 collection:

You can buy pieces from Hellen's previous collections here and pre-order her Fall 2013 collection here.

Thank you for reading and hope you enjoy the post! 
See you again soon.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Leave your comment here x

LOOKING FOR SOMETHING?